Monday, January 18, 2010

What I learned today – the RELOG utility

At the Chicago SQL User group meeting on 1/14/2010 John Jones of NetApp gave a talk on storage performance. it was an informative meeting. For instance, did you know that the latency of a 15K Fibre Channel drive is the same as a 15K SAS drive? But SAS drives are smaller; NetApp is able to put 24 drives in a 4 U rack.

During the presentation, John mentioned the RELOG utility and how it can convert a perfmon counter log from the default .blg extension to a .csv file. I’d never heard of RELOG before so I did a little reading up on it. I googled RELOG and found lots of information. The sources I used for this article were Ask The Performance Team, Microsoft TechNet, and this blog post at My Torn Data Pages. And I found that RELOG can do much more than just reformat a file. It can also filter the original counter log to show data from a sample time slice or only pull out certain counters.

RELOG is a command line utility. It’s available in Windows XP or higher machines, and it’s located in the \system32 directory. If you don’t have it you can get from Microsoft downloads. Also the utility isn’t just for SQL counters. you can run it against any perfmon counter file.

Here’s a list of the switches that RELOG uses:

image

In my examples I’m using a benchmark counter log I capture from our production servers. It’s already saved as a .csv file so I don’t need to convert it but I certainly could if I needed to. Also I’m typing RELOG in caps, though it’s not necessary.

Using RELOG with just the filename of the counter log will give you the start and end time of the capture plus the number of samples in the file…

image 

…and using the –q switch will list the counters used in the file. image

Adding the –o switch and specifying a file name will output the counter names to a separate file (RELOG SQL1_20100106.csv –q –o counters.txt).

So now that I know the times and the counters in my baseline, I can filter for the counters between 9 and 10 AM on 1/5(RELOG SQL1_20100106.csv -b "1/5/2010 9:00:00AM" -e "1/5/2010 10:00:00 AM" –f csv -o SQL1_filtered.csv). I can see that I’ve filtered out most of the sampling and now I’ve got the 237 samples I took between 9 and 10.

image

And I can also filter by individual counters.Let’s say I want to see the transactions per second against a specific database between 9 and 10 AM: RELOG SQL1_20100106.csv -b "1/5/2010 9:00:00AM" -e "1/5/2010 10:00:00 AM" -c "\MSSQL$MISDB:Databases(tempdb)\Transactions/sec" –f csv -o SQL1_filtered2.csv. Running this, I see the same 237 samples returned, but if I open the file, I’ll just see the counters I asked for:

image

I can also use a wild card to see the transactions/sec counters against all databases: RELOG SQL1_20100106.csv -b "1/5/2010 9:00:00AM" -e "1/5/2010 10:00:00 AM" -c "\MSSQL$MISDB:Databases(*)\Transactions/sec" –f csv -o SQL1_filtered3.csv

I haven’t tried to save the results to a database yet. According to My Torn Data Pages, there’s a problem with the syntax cited by Microsoft TechNet. I want to test both scenarios, using a DSN and the Native Client.

4 comments:

Cash Back Card said...

Enjoyed reading the article...thanks for sharing

Utility Warehouse Business said...

Useful post and great to share with the online community.

Mike said...

Been looking for this, thanks!

Utility Warehouse Opportunity said...

Well worth reading, I'll certainly recommend and share.